Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Bar Bands

While at Cornerstone Festival, I twice heard about people forming bar bands. The purpose is not to show up and preach, but to just be there and see what Jesus does with it. What a great move!

Having many musician friends who are not believers, I know you can't show up and preach at them and tell them they are going to hell. You need to be willing to have a beer with them and be there no matter what is going on in their lives, even when it conflicts greatly with your values. This is what Jesus will use and He will use it in His time, not mine. And He has.

It will be a cold day in hell before these people show up in church for help on anything. But sometimes they will meet Jesus in the bar.

In my mind, I bounce back and forth between feeling a little guilty for being involved in something looked down on by many Christians and the feeling that God can use me here.

I think I the church needs more bar bands.

No comments: